Descended from shield dwarves and azers, azerbloods are generally unfriendly and taciturn, proud and unafraid to take action.
Azerbloods vary widely in their appearance, although in general form they resemble shield dwarves with metallic brass-colored skin, flame-red hair, and irises that appear to dance like tiny flames. They favor little clothing other than azer kilts of brass, bronze, or copper, but they don heavier armor when they expect combat.
Azerbloods are experts in combat, effectively using their environment and executing well-planned group attacks. They often use fire magic in fights, particularly if one or more of their number is a cleric or sorcerer. If they have time to prepare, they might build fire pits or other traps involving burning oil. In addition to the dwarven waraxe and thrown hammer, azerbloods also use warhammers, picks, and spears.
Azerbloods live in small communities, often by themselves in otherwise deserted cave complexes or within larger dwarven cities and enclaves. Azerbloods speak Dwarven and Ignan. Most who travel outside dwarven lands (as traders, mercenaries, or adventurers) also know the Common tongue.
Azerbloods are most common in the Small Teeth mountains of western Amn, as most are members of the remnants of Clan Azerkyn, which once ruled the southern caverns of the Adamant Kingdom of Xothaerin. Individual azerbloods can also be found in shield dwarf clans dwelling in the mountain ranges that lie near the Lake of Steam.
Azerbloods are treated as shield dwarves for purposes of determining available regions. They may also take the Bloodline of Fire feat.
Like their dwarven cousins, azerbloods strongly favor the rule of law and the predictability it provides. From their azer ancestors they gain a level of detachment from the debate of good versus evil.
While they favor Gorm Gulthyn or Dumathoin, azerbloods revere the entire dwarven pantheon.
- +2 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma.
- Medium size.
- Dwarven Blood: For all special abilities and effects, an azerblood is considered a dwarf
- Darkvision out to 60 feet.
- Fire resistance 10.
- Weapon Familiarity: Azerbloods may treat dwarven waraxes and dwarven urgroshes as martial weapons, rather than exotic weapons.
- +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison.
- +2 racial bonus on saving throws against spells and spell-like abilities.
- +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against mephits (fire, magma, and steam only) and salamanders.
- +4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against monsters of the giant type.
- Racial Skills: +2 racial bonus on Appraise checks that are related to fire, stone, or metal items. +2 racial bonus on Craft checks that are related to fire, stone, or metal.
- Heat metal: An azerblood can cast heat metal once per day. Caster level equal to character level. The save is Charisma-based.
- Forged: An azerblood gains a +1 bonus on all saving throws against heat and fire spells and effects. This bonus increases by +1 for every five additional levels the azerblood attains.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Dwarven, Ignan. Bonus Languages: Giant, Gnome, Goblin, Orc, Undercommon.
- Favored Class: Fighter.
- Level Adjustment: +1.