Wizards are arcane spellcasters who depend on intensive study to create their magic. To wizards, magic is not a talent but a difficult, rewarding art. When they are prepared for battle, wizards can use their spells to devastating effect. When caught by surprise, they are vulnerable. The wizard's strength is her spells; everything else is secondary. She learns new spells as she experiments and grows in experience, and she can also learn them from other wizards. In addition, over time a wizard learns to manipulate her spells so they go farther, work better, or are improved in some other way. A wizard can call a familiar, a magical creature, small or large, that serves her.
While other spellcasters may have a vested interest in a particular planar viewpoint, the wizard prefers a more open policy toward the planes. To a wizard, the planes represent knowledge and power, and the wizard who can learn the secrets of the planes without regard to those planes' alignments or other traits is a true master of magic.
Hit Die: d4
Proficiencies: Armor (Robes), Weapons (Wizard)
Skill Points: 2 + INT
Class Skills: Concentraton, Craft (all), Decipher Script, Forgery, Heal, Knowledge (all), Lore, Profession (all), Spellcraft
Spellcasting: Arcane (spell failure from armor is a factor), intelligence-based (a base intelligence score of 10 + the spell's level is required to cast a spell, bonus spells are based on modified intelligence, and the intelligence modifier affects spell difficulty class), and requires preparation. Wizards begin the game knowing all cantrips and four 1st-level spells.
Special abilities & feats
- Level 1 Scribe Scroll, Summon Familiar
- Wizard bonus feats: every five levels (up to wizard level 20), the wizard may select a bonus feat, chosen from the metamagic and spell feat lists. This bonus feat is in addition to the feats every character gains for advancing in character level. If the character is an epic character (not necessarily an epic wizard) then the available bonus feats include those in the epic wizard bonus list. This bonus feat (one per five levels) option is replaced by the epic bonus feat progression (one every three levels) once the character reaches epic wizard levels (with the first epic bonus at level 23).
- All wizards gain the ability *Mage Bolt* at level 2 which deals 1d4 magic damage per 2 caster levels. Usable once per round.
- New prohibited schools:
Abjuration is opposed by and opposes Evocation.
Conjuration is opposed by and opposes Transmutation.
Divination is opposed by and opposes Illusion.
Enchantment is opposed by and opposes Necromancy.
Each school now has a special bonus at level two in addition to providing one spell slot per day.
- Abjuration - Reduces Arcane Spell Failure by 15%. Applied to the character's skin.
- Conjuration - Summons gain +2 to their base stats. Does not affect undead summons.
- Divination - Stoneskin line of spells cast at epic level. In addition, during DM driven events you may replace any one roll with a roll of a value of your choosing (DM's discretion, does not reset upon rests).
- Enchantment - Gains the Heroism spell which increases all nearby allies attack rolls, saves, and skills by +2 for turns/level. Usable once per day.
- Evocation - Gains the spell like ability Arcane Vortex that send out bolts of elemental energy. Each bolt deals 1d4 random elemental damage a target in the area, gain one additional bolt per caster level. Usable unlimited times per day.
- Illusion - Gains 2d6 Sneak Attacks.
- Necromancy - Gains immunity to poison and diseases.
- Transmutation - May shift up to +4 base stats into either their Strength or Dexterity, at the expense of a proportionate amount of Con and the stat that wasn't chosen. (IE +4 Str, -2 Dex -2 Con) Resets on rest.
At 7th level of wizard or higher, specialized wizards will gain the ability to further specialize into their chosen schools via a feat. This feat is unavailable to generalist wizards.
- All wizards with the adept feat have their Mage Bolt damage increased from d4s to d6s.
- Abjuration - Gains Martial Weapon Proficiency, Medium Armor Proficiency, and Shield Proficiency.
- Conjuration - Summons gain an additional +2 to their base stats. (Total of +4)
- Divination - Gains both the ability prevent an ally's death once per day (mechanically implemented as the resurrect ability), and will automatically heal itself to full the first time the wizard drops below 20% HP per day. You also gain a second 'charge' of the dice changing ability.
- Enchantment - The Heroism spell doubles in potency and also grants immunity to fear for the duration.
- Evocation - Arcane Vortex damage increases from d4s to d6s.
- Illusion - Gains +5 base ranks of hide, move silently, disable device, and pick lock.
- Necromancy - Necrotic damage now heals the wizard.
- Transmutation - May now shift up to +6 base stats.
A wizard may choose to specialize in a spell school, gaining one additional prepared spell per spell level but losing the ability to cast spells from the opposed spell school, even spells from scrolls. A wizard does not have to specialize, thus keeping access to all spells.
|Cantrips||1st level spells||2nd level spells||3rd level spells||4th level spells|
|5th level spells||6th level spells||7th level spells||8th level spells||9th level spells|
|Lvl||BAB||Saves||Feats||HP range||Base spells per day|
|1st||+0||+0||+0||+2||Summon Familiar, Scribe Scroll, Weapon Proficiency (Wizard)||2-4||3||1||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|5th||+2||+1||+1||+4||Wizard Bonus Feat||10-20||4||3||2||1||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|10th||+5||+3||+3||+7||Wizard Bonus Feat||20-40||4||4||4||3||3||2||—||—||—||—|
|15th||+7/+2||+5||+5||+9||Wizard Bonus Feat||30-60||4||4||4||4||4||4||3||2||1||—|
|20th||+10/+5||+6||+6||+12||Wizard Bonus Feat||40-80||4||4||4||4||4||4||4||4||4||4|
Bonus spell slots come from items and high intelligence.
As a rule of thumb, wizards can cast spell levels up to half their class level rounded up.